America gets ready to host the “Flamenco Festival”
From March 7th to April 5th, the most important flamenco showcase in the world will travel from Boston and New York to California and Florida
One more year — for a total of 21 — and Flamenco Festival is about to land in the United States of America. From March 7th to April 5th, the most traditional and the most avant-garde flamenco will travel through the American mainland from east to west and from south to north. Flamenco Festival NY has been performed in its New York headquarters since 1999, and from there it has been expanding to other cities. It has also been known as Flamenco Festival USA or, for some time already, as Flamenco Festival ON TOUR. Boston, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles and San Francisco are the lucky cities in 2020. This show has become established as one of the most important events showcasing Spanish culture in the United States.
According to the renowned The New York Times newspaper, Flamenco Festival NY is one of the greatest events of the year in the Big Apple. From March 13th to April 6th, the people of New York will be able to enjoy flamenco cante, toque and baile in several venues: the NYU Skirball, the Baryshnikov Arts Center, the Buttenwieser Hall, The Town Hall, The New York City Center and the Elabash Recital Hall are just some of the selected stages.
«Flamenco Festival has been performed in 101 cities around the world. It has presented 129 companies and it has reached an estimated public of 1,600,000 spectators. It’s the greatest promoter of flamenco shows in the world»
Flamenco Festival NY 2020 Program
- Friday, March 13th: NYU Skirball. Israel Galván. FLA.CO.MEN.
- Friday, March 13th and Saturday, March 14th: Baryshnikov Arts Center. Patricia Guerrero. Proceso eterno.
- Friday, March 20th: The Town Hall. Miguel Poveda. En concierto.
- Friday, March 20th and Saturday, March21st: 92Y’s Buttenwieser Hall. Sara Cano. A palo seco.
- Saturday, March21st: Joe’s Pub at The Public. Lin Cortés. Gitanerías.
- Saturday, March21st: Joe’s Pub at The Public. New Bojaira and invited artist Randy Brecker. Zorongo.
- Friday, March 27th: New York City Center. Rocío Molina. Caída del cielo.
- Friday, March 27th. Elabash Recital Hall. Rocío Márquez feat Miguel Ángel Cortés. Songs of light.
- Saturday, March28th: Joe’s Pub at the Public. Rosario la Tremendita. Delirium Tremens.
- Saturday, March28th and Sunday March 29th: New York City Center. María Pagés. Una oda al tiempo.
- Wednesday, April 1st, Thursday, April 2nd and Saturday, April 4th: Dizzy’s Club Coca Cola – On Stage at Kingsborough. Chicuelo & Mezquida. No hay dos sin tres.
- Friday, April 3rd: Joe’s Pub at the Public. Santiago Lara. La guitarra en el tiempo.
- Friday, April 3rd: New York City Center. Compañía Manuel Liñán. ¡VIVA!
- Friday, April 3rd: On Stage at Kingsboroug. María Moreno. Alas del recuerdo.
- Saturday, April 4th: Joe’s Pub at The Public. Kiki Morente. Albayzin.
- Saturday, April 4th: Joe’s Pub at The Public. Los Voluble. Flamenco is not a crime.
- Saturday, April 4th and Sunday, April 5th: New York City Center. Gala de Andalucía (with Mercedes Ruiz, Eduardo Guerrero, María Moreno, María Terremoto, La Chana).
Flamenco Festival USA / ON TOUR Program
The 17th edition of Flamenco Festival USA / ON TOUR, which will take place between March 7th and April 1st, 2020, will also feature artists who performed in the previous edition. Several of them will alternate with their New York performances. We can point out the guitarist José del Tomate, son of the famous tocaor Tomatito, who leads the lineup with four performances. The main stages where this festival will take place are the mythical Adrienne Arsht Center in Miami, the City Winery in Boston and the Grand Annex in Los Angeles. Other selected renowned temples of music are the Historic Asolo Theater in Sarasota, Florida, La Peña Cultural Center in San Francisco and the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago.
The program of the Flamenco Festival ON TOUR 2020 is a s follows:
- Saturday, March 7th , Sunday March 8th and Wednesday March 11th: La Peña Cultural Center, San Francisco. – Grand Annex, Los Angeles – Old Town School of Folk Music, Chicago. José del Tomate. Plaza Vieja.
- Sunday, March 15th: City Winery, Boston. José del Tomate. Plaza Vieja.
- Friday, March 20th and Wednesday, April 1st: PS21 – Historic Asolo Theater, The Ringling, Sarasota, Florida. Eduardo Guerrero. Desplante.
- Saturday, March21st: Adrienne Arsht Center, Miami. Miguel PovedaEn concierto.
- Saturday, March21st and Sunday, March 22nd: Berklee Performance Center, Boston (MA). Gala Flamenca (with Mercedes Ruiz, Eduardo Guerrero, María Moreno, María Terremoto, La Chana).
- Sunday, March 22nd: Koubek Center, Miami (FL).Rocío Márquez feat Miguel Ángel Cortés. Songs of light.
- Wednesday March 25th. Grand Annex, Los Angeles (CA). Rocío Márquez feat Miguel Ángel Cortés. Songs of light.
- Thursday March 26th. Adrienne Arsht Center, Miami. María Pagés. Yo, Carmen.
- Thursday March 26th: Irvine Barclay Theater, Los Angeles (CA). Gala Flamenca.
- Friday, March 27th: Adrienne Arsht Center, Miami. Compañía Manuel Liñán. ¡VIVA!
- Saturday, March 28th: The Huntington Theater, Boston. Compañía Manuel Liñán. Baile de autor.
- Saturday, March 28th, Sunday March 29th . Adrienne Arsht Center, Miami (FL). Gala Flamenca.
- Tuesday, March 31st : City Winery. Boston. Los Aurora. Aurora.
Flamenco Festival was born in 1996 with the goal of exporting flamenco beyond the Spanish borders, thus satisfying the increasing international demand for this cultural product. Since then, according to its own website, it has been held in 101 cities all over the world. It has presented 129 companies and it has reached an estimated public of 1,600,000 spectators. Without a doubt, it’s the greatest promoter of flamenco shows around the world.